For what services do I need to set up an appointment?
In order to best meet your needs as a unique individual, the following services require an appointment:
• Employment and career counseling
• Assessment tools for deciding education/career path (Myers-Briggs and Strong Interest Survey)
• Connections for job shadows and informational interviews
• Assistance with resume and cover letter development/critiquing
• Interview preparation
No appointment is necessary for utilizing the following services:
• Career resources (videos, reference materials, and software programs)
• Job leads and postings
• On-campus employment (for HCC students)
How do I set up an appointment?
You may call 815.599.3536 or 815.599.3573, or stop by the office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Career Services Center is located in the Highland Community College Student Conference Center, room 108 (1st floor of building H). See campus map.
How do I apply to be a student worker on campus?
The Career Services Center coordinates the Student Worker Program on campus, and the first step of the application process is to simply fill-out the Student Worker Application Form. You may stop by the office to receive and return the application form, or you may print it off via the link provided. Applications obtained online can be dropped off at the office in person or faxed to 815.235.6130.
Do I need to already have a resume created before I come in for advice?
No. You may make a resume appointment at any stage of the resume writing process. We will work with you from creation to critiquing.
Note: If you need a resume and do not know where to start, please brainstorm for information such as grade point averages, awards won, locations of previous employment, and certificates earned. If you have an outdated resume, bring it anyway. It could be helpful as a memory aid. By bringing as much information as possible to your first meeting, you will be able to walk away from the writing session with much more accomplished.
Furthermore, if this is your first time writing a resume, please allow for a minimum of two to three appointments in order to create a polished document.
Is there a fee for using Career Services?
For most services, there is no fee. For example, resume critiquing, employment counseling, and all employee recruitment services are free of charge. Some fees may apply to physical materials taken out of the center.
How can I find a job through Career Services?
The Career Services Center provides not only the preparatory services to help you succeed as an applicant and interviewee but also the initial connections to help jump-start your job search.
• Stop by our office to view our Job Binders filled with position descriptions/flyers sent to us by local and national employers
• Talk to center staff. If you tell them what kind of position you are looking for, they might know of a recent opening that would be of interest to you
• Browse the job flyer stand located directly outside of the office in the Student Conference Center (1st Floor)
• View the job flyers around campus posted upon the request of employers
• Go to our recommended employment web sites page to search local and national job resources
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?
815.599.3536 or 815.599.3573, or email Career Services.