Highland golfer Carlos Arenas named All-American
Carlos Arenas, a native of Simnasio Saucara, Colombia became the first golfer in Highland history to earn All-American status, placing seventh overall at the NJCAA Division II national tournament at Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro, Alabama.
Arenas finished the four-round tournament with a final score of 2-under par. He shot an even-par 72 in the final round on Friday, May 25, 2007. Arenas was named a second-team All-American. Individuals who finished in the top five of the tournament were included on the first team. The tournament champion scored 10-under par.
Highland's Trent Thill, the only other Highland Cougar participating in the national tournament, placed 90th in the 131-player field.
Highland’s Golf team finished the season in 3rd place of the Arrowhead Conference. Four Highland golfers were named All-Conference. This status is reserved for the 11 best golfers in the Arrowhead Conference.
• Jacob Thompson, a sophomore from Pearl City, placed 4th.
• Eric Drane, a sophomore from Stockton, placed 5th.
• Trent Thill, a sophomore from Freeport (Aquin), placed 10th.
• Carlos Arenas, a sophomore from Simnasio Saucara, Colombia, place 11th.
HCC’s ALL-AMERICAN ATHLETES
In the Highland Cougar’s 42-year history of athletics, a total of 15 Cougars have joined the elite group of student-athletes to receive All-American status by the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The NJCAA recognizes student-athletes and individuals who have distinguished themselves on a national level through performance, service, merit or achievement. All-American awards are posted in the Larry F. Kahl Gymnasium to honor these talented athletes.
• Carlos Arenas, 2007, Second Team Golf.
• Laron Frazier, 2007, Second Team Basketball.
• Jasmine Coleman, 2006, Honorable Mention Basketball.
• Antwon Harris, 2006, First Team Basketball.
• Temi Soyebo, 2005, Third Team Basketball.
• Angie Eissens, 2004, Honorable Mention Volleyball.
• Chris Mitchell, 2004, First Team Basketball.
• Mark Wilson, 2003, Second Team Basketball.
• Malerick Bedden, 2002, Third Team Basketball.
• Robert Lolar, 2001, Second Team Basketball.
• Tyrese Buie, 2000, Third Team Basketball.
• Troy Hudson, 1998, Honorable Mention Basketball.
• Michael Johnson, 1997, Third Team Basketball.
• Troy Parker, 1996, Fourth Team Basketball.
• Brian Hildebrand, 1993, Honorable Mention Basketball.
“This is a tremendous honor for Carlos and Trent and for Highland Community College to compete at the national level,” said Athletic Director Pete Norman. Athletes in men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, and now golf have received the distinction of being named All-American athletes. This is a good representation of the depth of talent in the Highland Cougars athletic program.
For more information about Highland Cougar athletics, please contact Athletic Director Pete Norman at email@example.com or at 815.599.3465.
OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS
2998 W. Pearl City Road
Freeport, IL 61032-9341